Making EEG & MatLab my ho

Baby EEG at vendor stand @ SfN2009 - Chicago
In order to explore the mysteries of the brain, many researchers employ non-invasive neuroimaging methods, such as MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), MEG (magnetoencephalography) and EEG (electroencephalography). But once a brain has been put onder one of these magnets or electrode caps, what does one do with the mess of signals and frequencies in the data output? In order to draw conclusions about brain activity and corresponding functions, the data needs to be analyzed. This is quite a daunting task, which can be simplified (or complicated) based on the software being employed.
Emotiv wireless 16-channel EEG

With respect to EEG data, I am using an Emotiv 16-channel wireless headset, which is not only versatile but looks pretty cool too.  These are typically used in gaming technology, but have also been cited in a few research studies as well. Although Emotiv offers it's own software for acquiring data, I am currently in the midst of figuring out how to present stimuli concurrently with recording, with markers inserted in the data at stimulus onset and offset. Having NO coding or technical knowledge in this realm, I have started from the bottom up, and there will be much troubleshooting (in the dark) untl I get it right. Also with respect to analyzing the EEG waveforms, I will be using MatLab, which I am concurrently learning to use. Despite the fear of the daunting white screen that almost seems to taunt you with it's blankness, MatLab is an incredible tool that can perform a variety of tasks, with many great plugins to help with specific functions. It is also a highly valued skill in the research world and can definitely give one the competitive advantage over a MatLab-less peer when applying for highly coveted and competitive job postings. I know there is a long way to go before I can be proficient in even a small aspect of MatLab, but you gotta start somewhere! Even with raw data already collected and on-hand, there is much to do before being able to draw conclusions about what the squiggly lines actually mean functionally! Some of these steps include eliminating noise (or artefacts) induced by many factors including blinking and head movement, averaging signals from the multiple electrodes and cortical frequencies, and epoching (kind of like event-related chunking of the EEG waveforms).

**Please excuse my very limited use of jargon, which may or may not be used correctly, but I guess I'll learn more along the way!

So to get a leg up on what analysis will be like, I have begun reading the superbly clear EEGLAB Wiki, which explains how to use the EEGLAB toolbox plugin for MatLab that is specifically designed to analyze EEG data. The Wiki contains a ton of useful links, including how to download and install the toolbox, plus tutorials on specific functions and aspects on what it can do. Additionally, you can download the entire Wiki in a PDF and read it anywhere!

I hope that my enthusiasm lasts more than a day, and I'll be noting my successes here on my blog to help those of you out there who may find yourself in the same teeny boat surrounded by an endless sea of waveforms. 

p.